1/28/11

Juice Fast - Day 9 Vegetable Broth

Dear god. I want to eat solid food! I think I hit a wall yesterday, well maybe not a full on wall but certainly THOUGHTS about a wall that I was about to hit. Each time I think of day 30, it seems like a million years away.

Well, in the interest of not being bored, I have added a very mean broth to the regimen. So far, I have been placing about a gallon of spring water in a stainless steel pot and bringing to boil. After retuning the heat to medium, I drop in various vegetables and greens with a base of:

1 onion,
1 head of garlic,
1 pack of green onions chopped.
2 carrots chopped
2-3 tablespoons of various herbs

I have added in celery, collard greens, parsley, bone marrow bones for soup base or whatever leftovers from juicing there are to the broth. As for spices, I'm just experimenting. Lots of savory herbs, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, poultry seasonings, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. I have been cooking about 45 minutes to an hour until everything looks washed out... Then the finishing touch! Run the cooked vegetables through the juicer and/or blend them up and strain them to get every last ounce of flavor and nutrition out of it. Mix all broths together and you have an very thorough and delicious treat.

Also, take note - by delicious I mean devoid of salt and bland so spice it up! Use all natural, organic spices to make it robust! I have been cutting up fresh herbs by the masses and tossing in. Whole Foods carries little packs of fresh herb spice mixes that are perfect.

Finished product should be smooth, robust, fiber-less broth that should keep for 2 days, 3 maximum.

Keep brothin my people

-^-^-
OO
>
-__-

1 comment:

  1. As a rebooting juicer .. I would just use whatever veggies are about to go bad in your fridge. I make sure to include potato, a few tomatos, leek/onion and whatever else there is available. In addition to the above, tonight I used cabbage, an ear of sweet corn and cilantro. Yum.

    ReplyDelete